In my last blog, Foursquare Part II: Using Foursquare at Live Events (Or Not?), I explored the suitability of Foursquare for MarketingCamp Silicon Valley and came to the conclusion that Facebook was better suited to our purposes. I also promised to do some testing. The results are in. Spoiler alert: things did not quite work as advertised.
Michael Procopio and I spent hours setting up events in Facebook and trying to check-into them, using the little location icon next to the the photograph icon (when you upload a picture). Our events never showed up in the list of locations to pick from. Michael heard that we needed to set up a place on Facebook, which turned out to be something that is not really supported anymore. Well, and it still did not work. So we went over to plan B, using FB as outlined below.
BTW – Checking into the place/event I set up on Foursquare worked really well, but you might remember that we decided to focus on #FB to engage our existing FB community vs. building a new one on Foursquare for a single event .
The following is a blueprint you can copy for your own event(s) to add Facebook’s location-based functionality. (Note: Read this blog to see if Foursquare is better suited for YOUR purposes).
Follow these steps to participate in the “Be a Marketing Hero Contest” at MarketingCamp on Saturday, November 3, 2012:
- Either way, when you arrive at the event site, ask at check-in about where you can take a picture with @MarketingHeroSV.
- Take it. Why is your picture more fun, crazy, marketingy, outstanding, awesome than the others? What is your USP?
Entries via Twitter: #MCSV @MarketingCampSV
- Go to Twitter
- Upload your photograph with @MarketingHeroSV
- Post a message to @MarketingCampSV using the #MCSV hashtag, stating that you are entering the @MarketingHeroSV contest.
Entries via Facebook: #MCSV
- RSVP that you are “going” to the event on the MarketingCamp SV Event Page on Facebook
- Open the Facebook App on your mobile device. Then slide your screen to the right or navigate to the page that links to your events. This is a screenshot from my iPhone:
3. Click on “Events” where you should be able to see the MarketingCamp Silicon Valley event you RSVPed you were “going” to:
4. Click on the “MarketingCamp Silicon Valley” event (above) and upload your picture with the #MCSV hashtag. Example:
Winners will be announced on the day of the event during the lunch break (you have until 12:30 PM to get your shot) and after the last session. You have to be present to win – ask for details at check-in.
What is the prize? A very cool “Be a Marketing Hero” T-shirt. A great memorabilia for a great day full of learning, networking, and fun!
NOTE AS OF NOVEMBER 07, 2012:
At the event, it turned out that we COULD see the MarketingCampSV event through the little location icon on Facebook, next to the picture upload. But, it was not there consistently.
You might also be interested in reading Foursquare Part I – The Basics on Points, Badges & Mayorships.